This more healthy Broccoli Chicken Casserole recipe is manufactured with your choice of pasta, tender chicken and broccoli, and the most delicious creamy cheddar mushroom sauce.
Increase your hand if you grew up consuming broccoli chicken casserole! Make that two hands if yours usually incorporated a can of cream of mushroom soup! Ah, what can we say, it’s what all of the awesome children have been carrying out back in the 80s. For those of you who even now crave a good throwback chicken casserole each and every now and then these days, I have a modern model nowadays that I believe you are going to adore.
Meet my a hundred%-from-scratch, lightened-up, nonetheless-ultra-creamy-and-cheesy, comforting chicken and broccoli casserole recipe!
It’s created with all of the traditional components from the broccoli chicken casserole recipes of my childhood, just freshened up a bit to carry us into 2019. We’re speaking lots and lots of broccoli (you can use fresh or frozen), tender chicken (come to feel totally free to use a rotisserie as a shortcut), your decision of pasta (I utilized total-wheat, but any sort will do), and tons of sharp cheddar cheese (get the great things!). Then in lieu of canned cream of mushroom soup, this broccoli chicken casserole recipe characteristics an straightforward homemade creamy mushroom sauce alternatively, produced with plenty of fresh mushrooms and zesty seasonings to guarantee that this casserole is anything but bland.
It’s present day, creamy, cozy comfort meals at its very best. And get ready, because it disappears in a flash.
Let’s make some chicken casserole!
Chicken Broccoli Casserole Substances:
Ok! Just before we get to the total recipe beneath, let’s talk about our buying list. To make this broccoli chicken casserole recipe, you will need:
- Pasta: Virtually any variety of pasta that you love greatest will function here — conventional (semolina), whole-wheat, gluten-cost-free, egg, or any other types of alternative-grain pastas that you favor.
- Broccoli: You can either use fresh broccoli (about one huge head, minimize into florets) or frozen broccoli (about one pound) for this recipe.
- Mushrooms: I really like the flavor of infant bella (cremini) mushrooms in this broccoli casserole recipe. But any of your favourite mushrooms will do.
- Creamy sauce stuff: Butter (or olive oil), onion, garlic, flour, stock (chicken or veggie), milk (any sort), Dijon, salt and pepper.
- Sharp cheddar cheese: I truly advocate purchasing a block of very good-quality aged sharp cheddar for this recipe, and then shredding it oneself.
- Chicken: Any cooked chicken will operate for this recipe! You can use my favored baked chicken breasts recipe or saut two breasts in olive oil in a skillet till cooked by way of. Or for a shortcut, truly feel free to shred a rotisserie chicken.
How To Make This Casserole:
To make this broccoli chicken casserole recipe, simply…
- Cook the pasta and broccoli. Cook the pasta in a huge pot of boiling water (don’t forget to generously salt the water!) until it is al dente. But — plot twist! — toss the broccoli florets into the water about one minute ahead of the pasta is done cooking to give it a rapid cook also. Drain the two.
- Make the mushroom sauce. Meanwhile, we’ll perform on the sauce. Saut the onion, followed by the mushrooms and garlic in butter (or oil) right up until softened. Stir in some flour and allow it cook for 1 minute (this will help to thicken the sauce). Then include in the stock, milk, Dijon, salt and pepper, and cook till the sauce reaches a simmer. Stir in half of the shredded cheese, taste, and modify any seasonings as required.
- Put everything collectively. In a massive 9 x 13-inch baking dish, give every thing a great toss — the cooked pasta, broccoli, mushroom sauce and chicken — until mixed.
- Bake. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Then eliminate pan from the oven, sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese evenly on prime of the casserole, and bake for 10 a lot more minutes or right up until the cheese is nice and melty.
- Appreciate! Serve wonderful and warm, garnished with additional black pepper and/or fresh herbs, if desired.
See complete recipe instructions under.
Want to customize this chicken broccoli casserole recipe? Feel free of charge to…
- Use a various protein: Cooked sausage, pork, steak, or shrimp would all be delicious in this casserole in area of chicken.
- Use rice as an alternative of pasta: To make traditional chicken and rice casserole, cook 1 cup of (uncooked) rice according to package instructions. Then stir it into the casserole as you would the pasta.
- Use a distinct kind of cheese: If cheddar isn’t your thing, this casserole would also be tasty with a mix of very good-good quality mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Or some type of spicy pepperjack would be scrumptious also!
- Include fresh herbs: Feel cost-free to add in some fresh Italian herbs (this kind of as parsley, basil, rosemary or thyme) if sought after.
- Make it vegetarian: We created a vegetarian model to test this recipe by just omitting the chicken, and the broccoli casserole was fantastic on its very own. Or, of program, you’re welcome to include some further veggies to the mix as well.
- Make it gluten-free: Use gluten-free pasta, then thicken the sauce with an all-goal gluten-free flour blend. (Or you can stir a number of tablespoons of gluten-totally free cornstarch into the cold milk just before incorporating it to the sauce.)
Much more Favourite Casserole Recipes:
Lookin’ for much more casseroles to really like? Right here are a couple of of my faves.